Sunday, October 01, 2006

Some Sellers Just Not "Getting It" In This Market

I recently had a listing expire after 3 months, which is not uncommon in 2006, but it bothers me to know that the seller thinks it's my fault that it didn't sell. I told him that there are three conditions that make a sale: price, terms and condition. The terms are good, because interest rates are still low, so it must be an issue of price vs condition. We had many showings by other agents in our MLS. with agents giving me feedback like: "it needs too much work" or "needs floor coverings & interior paint among other things. I had also advised them to de-clutter the interior, paint the front door, clean the carpets and do several repairs to make the property more presentable. The sellers did not complete my recommendations. In the first month I luckily found a buyer and brought him an offer that was about 10% less than the asking price. It was a good offer from a qualified buyer who wanted to buy "as-is" and fix-up the home himself. The sellers barely came off their price saying "it's early yet, someone will offer more". If we had made a counteroffer closer to the buyers initial bid, I may have been able to work the buyer up a little higher on his offer price. I told them, that by counter-offering back that high, they would be in effect, "buying the property back himself" for that amount if the buyer rejects your counteroffer. And he did, as the buyers rejected the counter-offer made by the seller. Well, here is a lesson learned, as time went on and the market prices deteriorated furthur this summer, it looks like the first offer was a pretty good offer after all because no other buyers made an offer and the Fresno property values continue a slow decline just like everywhere across the country in 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is only the beginning. This same story is going to be repeated many many times in Fresno. Mark my words, Fresno sellers better wake up and take offers that are 10-20% below their price. There will be a day they wished they had, I promise you. I have lived in Fresno all my life, and if you have also, if you can jog your memory, and get your mind off this boom that has happened a few years back, you will remember long ago what happened, when the market collapsed. You could get houses by just taking over the loan. It is happening again, the same way, all over again.